- 1 cup buttermilk or heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted, cooled
- 1 tsp maple flavor, or 2 Tbsp of maple syrup
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 c frozen corn kernels
- 1 minced jalapeño chile with seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 8x8x2-inch metal or silicone baking pan.
- Whisk buttermilk and egg in medium bowl to blend then whisk in melted butter and maple flavor. In a separate large bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda to blend. Stir in corn and jalapeño.
- Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until blended (do not over mix). Transfer batter to prepared pan (batter will come only about 3/4 inch up sides of pan).
- Bake cornbread until lightly browned on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer pan to rack and cool cornbread completely in pan. The cornbread will crack if taken out of the pan while it is still hot. (Cornbread can be stored for a week if covered tightly with foil and stored at room temperature. It can also be refrigerated or frozen for later use.)